12.12 Implement has function for chess - variant 2

I understand what the castling and en passant moves are.

What is meant by “include castling rights and en passant information in the state”?

Does it mean, for example, that the state includes information about whether a rook and king can castle? Or is it that the state includes information about whether a rook and king did castle? Or is it that the state, instead of including information about what squares the rook and king are on, simply includes information that castling occurred and which side it occurred on?

0 Likes

It basically is what it means literally. Because in some situation you may not be able to use those even though the board configuration looks good (because you did not include those by simply looking at the board).

0 Likes

can you give me a concrete example?

0 Likes

I don’t know how to give an concrete example, as you can find those by Google I guess.

0 Likes

@tsunghsienlee
Ok. Thanks anyway.
Unfortunately, I think I’m going to have to skip this question, because I’m having trouble understanding what’s required.
More detail in future editions of the book might be helpful.

0 Likes

Yes, we definitely want to go through those variant question in the future to make those testable like question in the judge.

0 Likes

I look forward to that. But with this question I think the problem is not having enough detail.

0 Likes