15.1 variant 8: Towers of Hanoi with fourth peg

In terms of using the fourth peg to reduce the number of operations, the idea I have is that, when we need to move pegs aside to get to the bottom-most peg, as we move the pegs aside we should try to split the moved-aside pegs evenly over the two pegs that aren’t the destination or source pegs.

In more concrete terms:

Let’s say we have 4 pegs and disks in the state p1: [1,2,3,4,5], p2:[], p3[], p4[] and we want to get all the disks from p1 to p2. Having the fourth peg allows us to eventually achieve this intermediate state: p1:[5], p2:[], p3:[1,2], p4[3,4]. The next move is p1:[], p2:[5], p3:[1,2], p4[3,4]. Now we need to get 4 to p2. This only requires moving one disk aside - the one on top of 4, which is 3.

If instead we had 3 pegs the corresponding intermediate state would be p1:[5], p2:[], p3[1,2,3,4]. The next move is: p1:[], p2:[5], p3[1,2,3,4]. Now we need to get 4 to p2. This requires moving three disks aside - the three on top of 4, which are 1,2,3.

This shows that we can reduce number of operations by splitting moved-aside disks over 2 pegs when we have 4 pegs instead of 3 pegs.

I’d like to know if this is a correct and sufficient approach for achieving minimum operations when we have a fourth peg.

Or should I keep keep digging for a better solution?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Yes I think it is correct.

For me it is easier/more convincing to proof with the base case: 3 rings with 3 pegs vs 4 pegs.

For 3 rings 3 pegs case, it would take 7 steps to move the entire tower.
For 3 rings 4 pegs case, it would take 5 steps to move the entire tower.

The difference is, due to the limited pegs for the 3-peg case, we have to move the ring1 twice in order to free up a peg (to move the ring3 there): first move to a free peg (the first step) then move it on top of ring2. this “move it on top of ring2” cost one extra step that does not exist for 4-peg case since we have enough pegs there so they don’t need to temporarily stack on each other to free up pegs.

1 Like

OT: What I have seen the formula to move the tower in the optimized way will be 2N-1 steps where N is the amount of rings, provided that we have enough pegs (at least N+1 pegs), more than that will not make less steps as those additional pegs are not used anyways.

for 3 rings 4 pegs case, it is doing it in the optimized way.

1 Like