Chapter 18 - Graphs Boot Camp - Team Reachability "Simpler" Implementation

Hi EPI,

I found the implementation of the Team Reachability DFS graphs bootcamp solution to be difficult to understand. Especially because most implementations of DFS use two functions (DFS and DFSRecursiveHelper).

To demonstrate, I implemented what I thought to be a simpler solution. I’ve tested against your implementation and both give the same result using your main() function. Please let me know if my code below isn’t optimal or fails on certain cases.

bool kIsReachableDFS(const unordered_map<string, unordered_set<string>>& graph, const string& curr, const string& dest){

if(curr == dest){
        return true;
    }

unordered_set<string> visited;

if(kIsReachableDFSHelper(graph, curr, dest, &visited)){
        return true;
    }

return false;
}

bool kIsReachableDFSHelper(const unordered_map<string, unordered_set<string>>& graph, const string& curr, const string& dest, unordered_set<string>* visited_ptr){

unordered_set<string>& visited = *visited_ptr;
    visited.emplace(curr);

if(curr == dest){
        return true;
    }

if(graph.find(curr) == graph.end()){
        return false;
    }

const unordered_set<string>& teamsBeat = graph.at(curr);
    unordered_set<string>::const_iterator it;

for(it = teamsBeat.begin(); it != teamsBeat.end(); ++it){

if(visited.find(*it) == visited.end()){

if(kIsReachableDFSHelper(graph, *it, dest, visited_ptr)){
                return true;
            }
        }
    }
    return false;
}
0 Likes

Hi @kolaworld,

Thanks for your idea. I have read your code and compared with mine. I think the main difference is that in book we use any_of() to shorten the code of for loop. One thing I feel your code is problematic is the code duplications. I think in EPI we tried not to repeating code as it is bad smell of codes always.

Again, thanks for this suggestion, please keep it up!

0 Likes