Currentness of the google play ebook, c++ edition?

I recently bought both the hard copy and ebook version of the C++ guide.

The hard copy is no doubt very current, as the acknowledgements section is dated October 11, 2017.

The ebook version is older… “version 2.0.0” from 2015.

How outdated is the ebook version?

0 Likes

Hi @AnonymousStudier1337,

Since many people complained about the Google Play display issue (not very clear), we will probably stop updating ebook since Version 3. Right now, we haven’t update the book for a while.

0 Likes

Gotcha @tsunghsienlee. The UX of the Google Play ebook is indeed pretty bad, but it would still be better if it was at least up to date, or if there was another electronic version made available. As a user of both the hard and electronic copies, I am now in a pickle, as I sometimes need to study using the Google Play version, but have some anxiety knowing that the material is out of date.

I understand there are piracy concerns regarding electronic versions (at least that’s what the author of CtCI says), but for some of us, an electronic version is much more convenient than a hard copy. I think the fact that you update the book so frequently would actually help, as people may be less willing to pirate an outdated version, and you could give buyers of the electronic version permanent access to the most up to date version.

0 Likes

Hi @AnonymousStudier1337,

Thanks for the reply, and definitely you think about many aspects of this.

However, the ironic thing is that there are people who actually pirate electronic version constantly as we learned earlier this year. So that is one of the reasons we will stop update ebook version. There is definitely two sides of hard choices, but to protect ourselves, we really have no choice, and hope you can understand.

In the future, unless there are some good way to protect privacy, we probably will put a hold on the ebook until then.

0 Likes