Not particularly happy with the new format (questions&answers together)

I still have the older version of the book (1st edition). In that edition, the hints and answers are put in the back of the book, which is I think best for those trying to solve the problems on their own. I was looking on Amazon for latest editions (in particular Java version) and looking at selected available content there, and what bugs me is that now for each problem the hint immediately follows and then the solution. So now while reading the problem you can’t help but to glance at the hint. Sometimes even seeing 1 or 2 words in the hint can give away the idea for a solution. I liked it much better in the old edition where hints and answers are in the back. Especially that in the old edition for each problem there is a page number where to find the solution, which makes it easy get to the solution if needed.

(i suppose i can cover the solution with a piece of paper, but sometimes just looking where to cover makes you see the hint :slight_smile:

I m wondering what other people think on this issue?

Thanks,
Yev

0 Likes

Just try not to glance at the hint. You’ll get used to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

@yevvi I absolutely agree. It really bugs me too. I recommended that they be separated in this post. Apparently people complained that it was too much work to keep flipping to the end of the book. I think the real problem is that they are spending more time reading solutions rather than actually solving problems.
¯_(ツ)_/¯
I keep a folded sheet of printer paper in the book, which I use to cover the hint and solution whenever I’m reading. That works most of the time. But sometimes I forget and suddenly find myself, to my horror, staring at the solution :scream:

0 Likes

It is really a tradeoff as both side have their preference. We are still experimenting on new format to make this book better. For example, adding more gap in between to making sure you won’t sneak peak the solution.

1 Like

I think the first edition had very good compromise in that the page number of the solution was indicated (opposed to some other books that make you search for the solution through table of contents). I still don’t see how hard it is to flip to numbered page :slight_smile:
Maybe putting the solutions at the end of each chapter might help?

0 Likes

Still won’t work as the number of flips is proportional to the number of problems. It will break the book easily as many readers report that.

0 Likes