Tools to write code for EPI problems?

• For writing C++ code when solving problems in EPI, where EPI recommends one should be writing the code at (e.g. a gui at coding website, or PC with vi/gcc) ?

• The schedule in table 1.2 shows that for 1-month prep plan (scenario-3, C3) one should be doing the following from Chapter 5: Write code for: 5.1, 5.7, 5.8, (5.3, 5.11).
    Does doing scenario-3 involve writing pseudo-code for C4 also?

• How can one download a PDF copy that can be read by any PDF reader? The current ebook copy that I have is accessible only in the adobe digital edition software.

0 Likes

1. At the interview, you should be able to write the code on the whiteboard, or with pen and paper.
    It’s reasonable to try to write it by hand and then try to type/run it in the environment which is most comfortable for you.

2. The book suggests to write pseudo code for C3, but if you have time for C4 also, and feel like it will increase your chances - why not.

3. There are scanned copies on the netz

0 Likes

Could you elaborate on how I can have the PDF access offline? Currently I either have to be logged online on Google play to read the book using google play reader, or be logged online to adobe digital edition to read in adobe. How can I have a PDF that’s accessible on any offline device?

0 Likes

Let me answer questions 1 and 3 here.

1. I personally think you can use whatever editor you like. Personally I think for onsite interviews, mostly writing code on whiteboard, it only requires some exercises but not huge practice to master. One thing I would like to warn about using editors is don’t over exploit the fact of autocompletion as it is very easy to get used to that eventually you forget many important APIs of C++ during whiteboard coding stage.

2. Sorry that we don’t have any PDF available and we do hear from other readers about pirate copies report from other readers. I have to warn that such action an action of infringing copyright.

0 Likes

• I was mainly looking for a way to read it on different devices even when I’m offline. I’ve purchased the ebook, but I have to be logged on connected to the internet if I want to read it or see it in PDF. I can see it in PDF in adobe digital, but only when online connected to Internet. There must be a way to have it offline? how do I do that?

• How are the problem sets schedules mentioned on Page-4, Table 1.2 Ebook related to different interview level successes at Google etc?
    For example, if I mastered all the problems in Table 1.2 for 1-month schedule (Scenario-3), is it considered at the level of having a solid chance of google SW interview (both phone/on-site) success?

0 Likes

Hey googleJob,

For your second question, I think that Tsung can give you a more elaborate answer.

I am trying to prepare those type of interviews as well, and being ready means that you should be able to open the book at any random page derive the algorithm (optimal algorithm), and code it up on a piece of paper, and test your code. All those steps should take you 20 to 25 mins Maximum.

The best is to do all the problem in the book, but this might take you up 5 months assuming that you are doing this preparation part time. Just my opinion.

Also, the reason that they don’t allow offline PDF is to prevent people infringing on their copyright. I so wish I had a pdf copy as well(more convenient), but I understand why they aren’t allowing it.

0 Likes

Hey @googlejob,

For the first question, you can follow https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2851654?hl=en to do that, and I have verified that it works.

0 Likes

It shows “This book is not available offline” when the mouse is over the book.

Here is the screenshot captured http://i.imgur.com/PA9HI1L.png

0 Likes

Hi @googlejob,

I use my Play Books app on my Android phone and it works for me to download book to your device and read offline.

0 Likes