We are expecting a 2nd printed edition of this book

The latest version of this book is quite different from the original printed version, but we can’t distinguish them by the cover. There is a great chance that we get the original version, but actually we are expecting for the new one. When can we get a 2nd printed edition of this book?

0 Likes

Hey Xiao,

Thanks for you appealing. One thing I would like to clarify here is that as long as you buy EPI from Amazon directly, not from those resellers, the chance of getting the old versions is 0.

The 2nd printed edition should appear in the early of 2015. We are working on that frenziedly, and we definitely will have a new cover for this release.

0 Likes

What the difference between current (1.4?) and 2d printed edition of the book? I can’t find such info

0 Likes

Hey Andrey,

We are working on 2nd version right now. Following are important changes we scheduled:

1. Switch from C++ to Java for codes in the book.
  2. Rewriting the problem description and solution for better presentation.
  3. Merging problems and solutions together such readers won’t need to flip book back and forth during study.

We are still collecting ideas for readers about 2.0, Andrey, if you are interested in providing feedbacks and comments to us, please send us email (tsung.hsien.lee@gmail.com, adnan.aziz@gmail.com).

1 Like

Sorry, in my previous post I forgot to thank you for a such great book (I had one and gave it to my friend so I’m thinking of buying a new one for me again).
About feedback. As for me points 1 and 3 you mentioned are disadvantage. 1st is because I prefer C++ (but I understand that here Java could be more popular) so it’s not a minus of the book. But third point for me is bad - if I have solution of the task on the same page, it’s difficult for me not to look in it before trying to solve by myself (I used bookmark for the solutions part so flipping wasn’t problem for me).
Also, I’d like to have chapter with architecture design. Questions how would you project any big system system which is quite popular and which don’t have single right solution. Something like this.

0 Likes

Hey Andrey,

Thanks so much for your support, and I really appreciate that.

About your concern on point 1, we will at least maintain C++ solution up-to-date for sure even we switch to Java. Moreover, it is very likely we will still release a C++ version that for faithful readers like you. About point 3, we have tried to merge problem and solution, and it looks fine so far since the newly rewritten solution will always introduce a brute-force solution at the beginning of the solution then gradually refine to the optimal one. Therefore, even you peek the beginning of this new style solution, you should not be afraid of the joy of problem solving is jeopardized. If you want to sneak peak few of those newly rewritten solutions, please send us email such that I can share with you.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. In this case, it should be ok.

0 Likes

Thank you for your response and such a great book. I have recommended this great book to my friends. But there seems no way to get an ebook in China, since books on Google Play is not available in China yet.

0 Likes

Hey Xiao,

I am truly sorry to hear that. Would you mind to share what other popular ebook options in China to me by sending email to me?

0 Likes

I just ordered the book after reading so many good reviews from users. I am primarily java/Python developer and would have liked the java version better and should have waited a little more for the 2nd version but i guess i am a bit too early for that now :frowning:

0 Likes

Hey BMT,

You could take a look of the Java codes at http://elementsofprogramminginterviews.com/solutions/. Sorry that you did not notice this earlier, but our sampler and information on the Amazon page shall tell you already this book is in C++. In the mean time, if you encounter any problem reading EPI, please feel free to let us know, and I am glad to help you out.

0 Likes

But why Java? Why not Python? That way students who prefer to learn a scripting language can use the 2nd version.

0 Likes

Why not use MarkDown to generate the Latex version of the next book and it has been done before. This way, you can even crowdsource edit contributions for the book (I presume MarkDown is more popular/easier than Latex).

“How to write a dissertation in LaTeX using Markdown” http://buff.ly/1CgHrJJ

0 Likes

We do plan to provide python solution in the 2nd version. However, since the main stream language is Java so we would like to stay with that.

0 Likes

It seems a promising idea by using MarkDown language. One thing I am worried is that we are using many advanced Latex features that may not be capable in MarkDown but it still a good way to go for sure.

0 Likes

I would like to get some of my students to freely contribute Python solutions for some of the problems. Can I ask them to solicit/write you directly about getting a go-ahead and a possible allocation?

0 Likes

Sure, please feel free to contribute on that. Our emails are tsung.hsien.lee@gmail.com, adnan.aziz@gmail.com, we definitely would like to hear more feedbacks from you first.

0 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for such a great book. I heard about this book from my friend. I would like to know when the 2nd edition of this book which is Java version available on amazon.

Thank you,

0 Likes

Hey Vivek,

It is not decided yet about when 2nd version will out but I can surely tell you that we will spread out the words when it is released. Of course, we will have a new cover at that time.

0 Likes

I notice that there’s recently been a version with Problem Solution Integration released. Does this mean that the second version isn’t likely to be imminently released?

How would updates work with this book?

Say I bought the new version from Google Play or Amazon Kindle. Would minor revisions be received? Major? I’d prefer to get a printed copy, though I’d consider an ebook depending on whether updates would be received.

0 Likes